From gothic art and fiction to modern writing, illustrators, artists and movies, These Fantastic Worlds offers a dark and fascinating journey from William Blake to H.P. Lovecraft, Brockden Brown to Virgil Finlay, The Avengers to Pan’s Labyrinth with new short tales and art by host, Jake Jackson. Articles on Time, mythology, an sf and fantasy podcast (These Fantastic Worlds, weekly on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Spotify) and a series of philosophical dialogues between three characters of my fiction, Hunter, Bain and Shi Xin, are also featured here, with some occasional thoughts on writing, editing and publishing.
These Fantastic Worlds
And there’s so much more to come, with the launch of my first fiction titles, Fibonacci Rising and Graveyard Planet, in 2021-22, more paintings, a new album and more dialogues. The next few years will see the unfolding of the fictional universe of These Fantastic Worlds which has dominated my creative life for the last 8 years and 7 books so far, juggling themes of fate vs determinism, notions of time, the ancient conflict of gods and darkness, and the confluence of memory, dreams and narrative.
In the meantime, here are some links to start:
- The Great Deluge | Introduction to Babylonian Tales of the Flood
- Dialogues: Should We Fear Death?
- Concepts | Fibonacci Patterns
- William Blake, Artist and Revolutionary
- H.P. Lovecraft, From Weird to Modern Gothic
- Virgil Finlay, Master of Dark Fantasy Illustration
- William Hope Hodgson, Master of Weird Fiction
- Henry Fuseli, Dark Gothic Fantasy
- Robert Bloch, Master of Psychological Terror
- Charles Brockden Brown: First American Gothic
- Macbeth, a Gothic Chaos
- A sample Podcast episode is available here as an audiopost