From gothic art and fiction to modern writing, illustrators, artists and movies, Jake Jackson’s These Fantastic Worlds offers a dark and fascinating journey from William Blake to H.P. Lovecraft, Brockden Brown to Virgil Finlay, The Avengers to Pan’s Labyrinth with new short tales and fine art by host, Jake Jackson. Articles on Time, mythology an sf and fantasy podcast (called, unsurprisingly, These Fantastic Worlds), and a Top 100 SF and Fantasy book inspiration list, are also featured here, with some occasional thoughts on writing, editing and publishing. There’s lighter fare too, with fantastic quotes by the great and the good of sf and fantasy writing.
And there’s so much more to come, with the launch of my first fiction titles, Fibonacci Rising and Graveyard Planet, in 2018 (edited by the keen-eyed Melissa Gray), more paintings, infographics and some dark inklings of myth, magic and murder. The next few months will see the unfolding of the fictional universe of Echoes and Origins which has dominated my creative life for the last 5 years and 5 books so far, juggling themes of fate vs determinism, notions of time, the ancient conflict of gods and demons, and the confluence of memory, dreams and narrative.
Well, it keeps me off the streets.
To whet your appetite, here are some links to the murky corridors of this labyrinthine blog, just a smattering of the many posts worth delving into. Use the top menu to navigate categories in the article section, the Podcast menu to sift through the episodes of narrated flash fiction, and the Fiction menu to explore my fiction and the background behind it. In the meantime, here are some links to start
- The Great Deluge | Introduction to Babylonian Tales of the Flood
- Concepts | Fibonacci Patterns
- Algernon Blackwood, Master of Supernatural Fiction
- William Blake, Artist and Revolutionary
- H.P. Lovecraft, From Weird to Modern Gothic
- Virgil Finlay, Master of Dark Fantasy Illustration
- Clark Ashton Smith, Master of Gothic, Fantasy and Pulps
- William Hope Hodgson, Master of Weird Fiction
- Arthur Machen, Master of Supernatural Horror
- Henry Fuseli, Dark Gothic Fantasy
- Robert Bloch, Master of Psychological Terror
- Frankenstein by Jeffrey Catherine Jones
- Charles Brockden Brown: First American Gothic
- 100 Top SF & Fantasy Books. American Gods. Neil Gaiman
- Macbeth, a Gothic Chaos